Why I waited so long to plan a vacation for Justin and I is beyond me. The long weekend was a success and we are trying to weasel in some more getaways this summer. They may well be in a tent rather than an inn, but I am excited for more adventures none-the-less.
So everyone always asks “How was your trip?” I really can’t imagine they want to hear about it at length, but here goes:
The best parts of the Door County trip:
- The Blacksmith Inn. This place was so relaxing and beautiful. They had fresh cookies in the common room, hammocks on the balconies, fireplaces and in-room hot tubs. I would go back in a second. The owners were sweet and had breakfast waiting every morning. Each room is different, so take your pick.
- Fried Cheese Curds. I don’t need to explain why this is awesome.
- Fried Lake Perch. See also: Blue Gill.
- Restaurant Saveur. Order the calamari steak. Ridiculous.
- Wild Tomato. Such a great lunch. Featuring wood-fired pizza and artwork done by the owner’s children.
- Thrift Store in Egg Harbor…or Fish Creek. We scored golf clubs, a bowling bag/new purse, and Trivial Pursuit from the late 80’s or early 90’s. We are now experts on the U.S.S.R. and the six-year-war.
- Selfishly hogging Justin to myself. Undivided attention is the best birthday present.
- Mama Bird. There was this little sandpiper nesting right next to the doc. We checked in on her a lot and had several quality conversations with her, regarding her muffin-like stance on her nest. A rival mama bird in the area did a weird feather dance that we can only imagine is called “splaying.”
- Not involving airports in any way. There is something to be said for road-trips making a vacation less stressful.